March is National Nutrition Month…brought to you by JTA Wellness
We need to talk. It’s getting really complicated, and I can’t stop cheating on you. It’s over.
1. Focus on Variety. To get all the nutrients your body needs, try to eat a variety of foods from all food groups. Vary your protein choices between lean poultry and beef, fish, pork, nuts, beans and peas. Eat from a variety of whole grains, such as brown rice, quinoa, and other whole-grain products. Incorporate a rainbow of colors from both fruits and vegetables.
2. Make your Calories Count! What you eat is just as important as how much you eat. It is a common misconception that we can simply “portion control” our way to good health. However, ordering the kids’ meal and the small fry does not a balanced diet make! That’s right, eating less is NOT more!! If you aren’t choosing to fill your diet with nutrient-dense foods, you are going to majorly miss out. Be conscious of healthy portions, but utilize your calories for the best options available to you.
Oven Baked Cheeseburger Sliders
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and lightly grease a 9×12-inch baking dish. Line bottom of baking dish with bottom-halves of the buns. Reserve tops for later and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes before adding ground beef. Brown meat, breaking it a part with your spoon until meat looks about half-way cooked. Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Montreal seasoning, stirring to combine. Continue cooking until well-browned. Drain any remaining juices.
- Evenly distribute meat over bottom buns. Arrange cheddar cheese slices over the top of the meat and bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is gooey. Arrange top buns over the top. Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired, and return to oven for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and enjoy.